Work on building gross motor skill and muscle while working on balancing.
- open space
Set the pillow on the floor in one spot and stand in the other open space.
- Stand on two feet next to the pillow and slowly bend your knees. Complete 10 reps.
- Next move to the pillow and slowly bend your knees. Complete 10 reps.
- Now, it is time to stand on one leg. First stand on the floor with your right leg for 10 seconds then your left leg. If that was easy increase the time. Complete 5 rounds.
- Switch to practicing on a pillow. Again, stand on one leg for 10 seconds and then switch to the other leg. Complete 5 rounds.
- Start with both hands and feet on the floor and slowly lift the opposite hand and foot for 5 seconds and then switch. Complete 10 reps.
- Switch to a pillow (longer pillows will work best) and repeat what was just done on the floor.
Extra Challenge: If the 3 balance stances were easy, try to balance on your hand and foot from the same side. Over time, you can work to lift your arm and leg higher in the air. You can also change the object you use to balance. If you have a 2 x 4 piece of wood or a balance beam, children can use that as well.